The Heart of Worship

There are three things a man never wants to admit: 1) I was wrong, 2) I’m lost, and 3) I occasionally listen to country music. That being said, I may have stumbled across a country music station this morning on the way to work. The morning show hosts were speaking about being grateful. They said something so simple that I’ve been trying to digest all day “…pray to God, thanking Him for what you have, without asking for a thing.” Being the cognitive thinker I am, this simple thought evolved into a sermonette. And you guessed it – it’s about worship.

The word “Worship” is used in most churches on a weekly basis. It undoubtedly has different meanings to different people. To some it means going to church, to some it’s a style of music, and to others it may just be the act of falling down at someone’s feet in veneration. I wanted to share a few simple truths about worship that has revolutionized my way of thinking.

First, we are to worship in spirit.

“But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth." John 4:23-24

True worship is something that goes on behind the walls of our eyes. It can happen at church, at home, or in the car; it is not done in a specific, physical location; but rather within the spiritual realm of our minds. Although the bible provides us several vehicles for worshiping God (i.e. singing, dancing, thanksgiving, serving, etc.,) an empty song, dance, or dollar in the offering plate is exactly the contrary to what John 4 calls “true” worship. And when we, non-divine, creatures sculpt the clay into something only a Divine God can make, it is destined for failure. It doesn’t matter how morally, doctrinally, or even theologically sound one may be; if there is no spirit to Spirit connection, the emptiness will eventually surface.



Secondly, we are to worship in truth.

I heard it said once that there are three sides to every story. There’s the CNN version, the Fox News version, and then somewhere right in the middle is the truth. The truth is not swayed one way or another; it is right down the middle. Jesus said “I am the way, the truth, and the life…” John 14:6

True worship must be done in truth because the very object of our worship is truth! And any other motive behind our worship would be false worship. If we serve with a motive to gain recognition, we are not worshiping in truth. If we love solely because we crave to be loved, we are not worshiping in truth. If we sing because of our passion for the music, we are not worshiping in truth. Worship music to worship is what love music is to love. It doesn’t make it happen, but it creates an environment conducive for it to happen.

Close your eyes and picture yourself burning in an eternal hell. Then picture a Holy God hanging on the cross suffering in torment. Now, put those two images together and realize that because of the latter, the first will never have to happen. Even on your worst day, under the worst possible circumstances, you can smile and just say “thank you.” Often, but not often enough, this very thought is what goes through my mind when I sing in church, when I enjoy a meal with my kids, when I pretend sword-fight with my son, when I watch a sunset with my beautiful wife, and when I share laughs with my friends.

Through the simple things that make life what it is, constantly remember who made you, saved you, and is always changing you… and worship him in spirit and in truth.



No comments:

Post a Comment